Sunday, January 27, 2013

Day 4

Total Miles: 73 (The most miles I had ever biked- ever)

Today we woke up at 7am and Kiana and I took forever to figure out how to re-pack our tent. Once that was accomplished, we loaded up our bikes and enjoyed some hot oatmeal for breakfast (it was gross). We started the morning off with some really hard climbs. I was in the front for a while, but then moved to the back. Jackie was really struggling so Julia and her hitch hiked again. We waited a while for them to figure out what they were going to do. We kept going and had to cross this HUGE bridge, the “Columbia River Bridge.” I learned that I HATE bridges.

We were on our way to lunch and I saw this huge hill coming up. I didn’t think I was going to make it, so Alex offered a push. He tried to push me and he ended up wiping out into the street. The cars slammed on their breaks and I jumped off my bike. We dragged him out of the street and recovered his bike. Everyone stopped to ask if he was ok, I felt really bad, especially since we never even went up the hill…oops.

We finally made it to lunch! I was starving! We ate lunch with Jackie and Julia at a grocery store. We had a rotisserie chicken that was so good. We ate a lot, which made it hard to bike afterwards because we were tired. Jackie and Julia hitch hiked to Portland, where we would meet them for the night at a hostel. Alex and I were biking on flat stretch for a good time so we decided to stop at a gas station. I went inside to ask to use the restroom and the guy responded in a BRITISH ACCENT!! (He was cute, that is why it was a big deal.) (He made a joke too, but I can’t remember it now). While Alex and I waited, Kiana showed up, and we stuffed our faces with some Nutella. 

We weighed ourselves on a truck ramp scale thing and we weighed 1,750lbs! (It was all the Nutella). We made it to the outskirts of Portland, after stopping a million times for Jacob to eat (he is seriously always hungry). We ended up on a side walk (not meant for bikes) and we had to navigate carefully down the ramp. It was dark by time we got to the Portland Hostel. I was really hungry, tired, and cranky (which means I was the most unpleasant person to be around). The hostel was awesome! Jackie made us cookies and were so yummy and Julia made us dinner. We all sat around a big table and ate. You could tell we were all exhausted though. I showered (best shower of my life) and then went to bed. I had to lay my sleeping bag and stuff out because we had gotten soaked in our “waterproof” tent. 

1 comment:

  1. Love reading these! That was such a long day. Lol at your nutella joke. And I had forgotten how long it took us to learn how to use our tent, since it was so second nature by the end.